Sustainable Development Goal 5 relates to achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls. Goal 5 has numerous objectives that are relevant to our sector:
- End all forms of discrimination against women and girls everywhere
- Recognize and value unpaid care and domestic work through the provision of public services, infrastructure and social protection policies and the promotion of shared responsibility within the household and the family as nationally appropriate
- Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic and public life
- Adopt and strengthen sound policies and enforceable legislation for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls at all levels
A summary of our proposed contributions to Goal 5 are provided below:
- Commitment to provide equal opportunities to all genders in regard to hiring, promotion, compensation, schedules, job assignments, discipline, training, working conditions, and all other aspects of employment.
- Clearly communicated expectations for the ethical conduct of our employees, including zero tolerance for gender or other types of discrimination, harassment, or bullying.
- Paid parental leave for both birthing and non-birthing parents that meets or exceeds the requirements of the local jurisdiction.
- Measuring and reporting on company diversity (including gender) for employees, management, and board of directors annually, including goal setting and progress reporting.
- Working with our host nations to support the development and/or strengthening of gender equality policy and legislation, and the actions that support those policies in the communities where we work. At present, our teams are located in cities and towns in the United States and Canada, where gender equality legislation is in place. As we move into broader community settings, we will work with government and community partners to contribute both financially and in-kind to meaningful, effective projects that align with the needs of the community and the relevant government framework. We anticipate broadening our geographic footprint in 2023, and therefore our 2023 Annual Report will include a more detailed set of commitments.
We anticipate reporting the first measurements of our employee, management, and board of directors diversity in our 2022 Annual Report, as well as goals for enhancing gender diverse inclusivity at Impossible Metals.